We are a friendly and lively learning community. As highly qualified educators, we take our work seriously. We know how to deliver a stable, consistent curriculum, while giving each child the individual attention they need. It’s an honour to experience part of a child’s early years, helping them to transform by developing the skills, interests and opinions that will form the basis of a lifetime of experiences. This is why we are so interested in your child’s individual personality, perspective and talents.
Our goal is to inspire confidence and resilience in children, helping them to develop social, spiritual and emotional wellbeing. We believe that families are the most important part of a child’s life. We’re here to support you and your child and work with you to help them along the road to ‘big school’. Whenever you have an idea, opinion, or suggestion, we’re ready to listen and include it in our programming.
Meet our Centre Manager
Years in childcare
I have been in the early childhood profession for 9 years. I have worked with all age groups however my expertise and passion has always been with the preschool aged group.
I hold a Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood 0-8 years).
What makes you passionate about working in childcare?
Seeing the smiles of the children as they walk through the doors every morning. This enthusiasm and happiness shows me that all the hard work myself and the team has put in is all worthwhile. The children’s continual growth in their social, emotional and confidence is what keeps me going and builds on my passion and commitment or the profession.
What is the funniest or most memorable moment you can share from working in childcare?
When my pre-schoolers were exploring the human body as a class project. We discussed how food travels through the body. During this time I was pregnant with my daughter and was slowly letting the children know. I was assisting a little boy to the bathroom as he was toilet training at the time. I sat on a little stool in front of him. “Miss Jen, why are you sitting like that” he asks. “Because I don’t want to squish my baby inside my tummy” I replied. The mortified look he gave me as I told him my reason had me confused. “No Miss Jen, we do not eat babies. That’s not good” the boy exclaimed. At his response I fell backwards in laughter as he related my pregnancy back to how food enters our stomach. To this day this has been the most memorable moment of my career. Not only did it show me the child’s understanding about what he has learnt but it shows that my teaching strategy is effective as the children can transfer and adapt what they have learnt from one context to another.
Why do you believe your centre is an excellent choice for parents seeking the best childcare?
1. Passionate, caring, loving and dedicated educators.
2. Welcoming and supportive environments to assist in each child’s development.
3. The security of children is paramount. All the families and staff have access to children’s floor with finger scanners.
4. Families are able to communicate easily to educators and see their child progress throughout their time at Shiny Star through online documenting tool ‘Story Park.
5. Regular Incursions and excursions are an integral part of Shiny Star. We explore our local community visiting the local shops, post office and library.
6. School Readiness: Kinder children participate in school readiness programs where the curriculum is set up for each child to achieve the maximum potential in learning. Parent Information nights are held twice a year to talk about parent’s fears or anxieties and how to transition smoothly.
One on one meetings with families do take place close to the big school orientations helping families understand the school’s expectations and school reports are handed out.
7. Separate Outside yards: All the age groups have separate play yards providing each child with sense of security and belonging.
8. Open days and other celebrations: We celebrate many special events throughout the year starting from Chinese New Year to Christmas.
9. The service operates for 52 weeks, therefore the families to do not need to provide separate care for their children during Christmas Break.
Fun fact about you:
I’m a book worm, I enjoy reading a good romance book. I love origami and can make a range of things using different sized papers and being a mum has been my biggest accomplishment to date